Continuing Disability Review: Your Questions Answered

Law Blog

Once your social security disability (SSD) is approved, you may breathe a sigh of relief thinking that the process is finally complete. Unfortunately, this isn't usually the case. Most SSD cases will require a continuing disability review (CDR) to ensure you are still entitled to benefits. These are routine reviews, but it is best to be prepared for the possibility of the review from the outset. The following guide can help you better understand the CDR.

How often are reviews performed?

There is no one rule governing the timeframe for a review. In general, if your medical condition or disability is one with a high chance of full or partial recovery, you can probably expect a review within a few months to a year. Otherwise you can expect reviews every few years for disabilities where recovery is possible. Completing certain programs, such as a rehab program, can also cause a review.

What is the review process?

The process begins with a notice in the mail that states you are due for a review. Inside the notice will be a request for specific information pertaining to your disability, as well as the CDR form. There are two forms – a short form and a long form. Generally, the short form is provided to those that are unlikely to recover, while the long form is reserved for those with a disability that have a possibility for recovery. Once the form is filled out and the paperwork is gathered, it must be mailed back by the deadline in the notice. In many cases the CDR is approved immediately and you will receive notice. Occasionally, a personal review is triggered and you may need to send in more information or meet with a reviewer.

What documents are generally needed?

You should have the documentation on hand from your initial claim so you can use it to make sure everything you are filling out is accurate. You will also need to provide a copy of your medical records as they pertain to the claim. You may also need a medical opinion report from your doctor. Make copies of all documentation that you send it, as paperwork can sometimes get lost.

If your CDR is denied, you will have the ability to appeal and file a request for reconsideration. Contact a social security attorney in your area for help with filing the paperwork or in processing your appeal if the process seems overwhelming.

For more information, talk to a professional like Horn & Kelley, PC Attorneys at Law.


17 February 2017

File Chapter 7, and Keep Your Home

Many people assume that when they file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, they will have to give up their homes and other property. This is not necessarily the case. I am a bankruptcy attorney, and I have helped many clients file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy without giving up homes, cars, and other property. When you file for bankruptcy, the property you are allowed to keep depends on your individual circumstances and the state where you live. Most states allow exemption for property you are currently paying for. This blog will guide you through that information and help you determine if filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy is the right choice for you.